If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Follow Us

Veterinarian

Pet Poison Treatment at Emergency Animal Hospital of Northwest Austin

pet poison

Accidental poisoning is one of the most common threats to your pet's health and safety. Here at Emergency Animal Hospital of Northwest Austin, our vets have years of experience helping animals recover from the ill effects of ingesting common pet toxins. If you live in the North Austin area and your pet ingests one of the toxins discussed below, call us right away at 512-331-6121. If you live in the South Austin area, call 512-899-0955. Be prepared to give information about your pet's species, breed, age, and gender, as well as the amount and type of the toxin ingested, the time it was ingested, and any symptoms your pet may be displaying. 

Emergency Animal Hospital of Northwest Austin is here to provide emergency care outside of regular veterinary clinic hours. The sooner you seek vet care for your poisoned pet, the greater his chances of recovery. 

Common Pet Toxins and Signs of Poisoning

Some common pet poisons might seem obvious enough, while others are likely to surprise you. Watch out for:

  • Rat or other Rodent Bait: Rodent baits are designed to be appealing to small animals, so they can tempt cats and dogs. Rodents may carry the bait into areas occupied by your pet. A cat that eats a poisoned rodent may be poisoned, too.
  • Snail Bait: Snail baits can also be appealing to pets and harmful if ingested.
  • House Plants: Numerous house plants can be toxic to pets, including sago palms, most kinds of lilies, azaleas, hyacinths, tulips, oleander, poinsettias, and amaryllis.
  • Foods: A wide range of foods that are safe for humans are not safe for pets. We most often treat pets poisoned by grapes, onions, and chocolate. Xylitol, an artificial sweetener used in sugarless gum, is also toxic to pets. Raw yeast dough, alcohol, coffee grounds, macadamia nuts, and rhubarb or potato leaves and stems are also toxic.
  • Human Medications: Keep any over-the-counter or prescription medications away from your pets. Do not administer any medications without advice from a vet. Drugs like ibuprofen and acetaminophen can be deadly to pets.
  • Antifreeze: The sweet taste of antifreeze can attract pets, but many types are toxic.
  • Insecticides: Keep insecticides away from your pets, especially those that contain organophosphates.
  • Household Cleaners and other Chemicals: Bleach, potpourri, cleaners, and even toiletries can pose a threat if pets eat them.
  • Toxic Toads: In the Gulf Coast area, your pet may be at risk of poisoning from licking or ingesting certain species of native toad.
  • Certain Plants - Cats in particular, can be poisoned by popular plants such dieffenbachia and philodendron
  • Pesticides- Many pesticides are designed to be attractive to animals.

Even the foods we humans safely enjoy can be poisonous to our pets. These include chocolate (and other caffeinated products), citrus fruits, avocado, grapes, raisins, garlic, onions, and Xylitol (a non-sugar sweetener). This is yet another reason not to feed your pet table scraps or leave food out on counters.

Despite your best efforts to lock away any potentially toxic products in your home, a curious dog or cat may still find a way to ingest something dangerous. Look for signs and symptoms such as nosebleeds, bruising, vomiting and/or diarrhea, sluggishness, disorientation, erratic heartbeat, seizures, or sudden loss of consciousness.

Symptoms of Pet Poisoning

You may not always see your pet ingest a toxin. However, pets may display a number of symptoms indicative of poisoning. Some common symptoms of pet poisoning include:

  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Lack of appetite
  • Excessive thirst
  • Increased or decreased urination

Pet poisoning can cause internal bleeding, liver failure, kidney failure, and other severe and often fatal symptoms. If you suspect your pet has ingested toxins, do not hesitate to contact a veterinarian immediately.

Prompt, Accurate Treatment From Our Emergency Veterinarian in Austin

If you suspect that your dog or cat has been poisoned, don't panic -- instead, contact us immediately for advice and be ready to rush your pet to our clinic for emergency care. If possible, try to find whatever it is your pet consumed so you can bring a sample of it to us for evaluation. Don't try to make your pet vomit; a corrosive substance will do even more harm coming back up. As soon as your pet arrives, our emergency veterinarian in Austin will run fast but accurate diagnostics to determine the proper course of lifesaving action. In some cases, emetic drugs to make your pet vomit may be the right answer; in others, we may use activated charcoal to neutralize the substance. Rest assured we will do everything in our power to save your best friend.

Contact our North Austin Veterinarian Today

Keep out contact information at the ready, just in case. When trouble strikes, call Emergency Animal Hospital of Northwest Austin at 512-331-6121 for 24-hour emergency and critical care!  Our south hospital is open nights, weekends and holidays and can be reached at 512-899-0955.