If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Follow Us

Veterinarian

Toxic Foods and Plants That Are Items For Pets

There are several foods that are thought to be good for people, but they can be extremely dangerous for your pets. Each year, there are over 100,000 cases of poisoning in pets due to them ingesting a toxic substance, such as certain human foods and plants. Some of the most dangerous poisons for pets in Austin are actually the foods and medications that people take on a daily basis. Unfortunately, if a dog or cat ingests some of these common, everyday items it can cause gastrointestinal and neurological problems, respiratory distress, cardiac problems and possibly even death for pets.  Here are some of the most toxic items for pets.

dog eating food

Household Plants and Flowers

Plants and flowers may be pretty in the house or in the yard, but many of them can be a toxic substance for your cat or dog. Some of the most toxic plants to pets include:

  • Azaleas and rhododendrons-these flowering plants contain a toxic substance that can cause diarrhea, vomiting, coma and possibly even death.
  • Tulips and daffodils-these are extremely common flowers in many Austin yards, but the bulbs of these plants can cause difficulty breathing, stomach problems and an increased heart rate if ingested by pets.
  • Sago palms-if a cat or dog eats just a few seeds from a sago palm it can cause vomiting, seizures, liver failure and even death.
  • Other plants that are extremely toxic to pets include poinsettia plants, jimson weed, lilies and oleander, all of which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and gastrointestinal problems.

Toxic Foods for Pets

Most people are aware of the dangers chocolate can have on their pet, but there are several other foods that you may not be aware of that are actually poison for pets, including:

  • Mushrooms-eating poisonous mushrooms can cause severe reactions in pets, such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and potentially even death.
  • Raisins and grapes-just eating a handful of raisins or grapes can cause serious health problems for pets, including kidney or liver damage and/or severe dehydration resulting from vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Garlic and onions contain an ingredient known as thiosulphates, which may cause the red blood cells in your pet’s body to burst and possibly cause liver damage. Both of these foods can also cause breathing difficulties.

It is extremely important that you never leave human foods out where your pet can get to them and you should avoid planting potentially poisonous plants in the yard where your pet can get to them. If your pet has eaten a toxic substance, it is critical that you contact an emergency veterinarian in Austin immediately for instructions. In some situations, your vet will recommend things you should do right away, such as inducing vomiting, but in most situations, you should be prepared to take your pet to the vet immediately.

To learn more information about foods and plants that may be toxic for pets or if you suspect your pet may have consumed dangerous foods, contact Emergency Animal Hospital of Northwest Austin.